Thursday, June 30, 2011

Endurance

Part One, Chapter One: Abandoning Ship
Term: personification

The first chapter in part one of Endurance contains a brief account by author Alfred Lansing describing the tragic loss of the ship known as Endurance. This chapter also discusses how the crew members cope with the painful loss of their ship.  Captain Ernest Shackleton and his crew of twenty-seven men were forced to abandon the ship on October 27, 1915. The ship fought for three long days against the pressures of hazardous waves and ice from the Weddell Sea. Alfred describes the Endurance's ruthless defeat by saying, "She was being crushed. Not all at once, but slowly, a little at a time. The pressure of ten million tons of ice was driving in against her sides. And dying as she was, she cried in agony" (Lansing 2). Once the crew realized that the ship was sinking, they quickly got off and set up a campsite on a huge floe of ice. Grabbing all the necessary goods, the crew members hurried to escape the piercing ice. The members of the expedition realized their journey was going to be a struggle from now on, but they kept an optimistic attitude and a drive to succeed. By using personification, Alfred Lansing is able to portray a vivid image of the damage done to the Endurance. When I read this chapter, I was amazed at the way that the men handled themselves after losing their precious ship. This chapter reminds me that I must continue to push through hard times in my life, regardless of the painful losses or disheartening experiences that I am faced with. I have learned to work hard and persevere through the many challenges that life throws my way.       

No comments:

Post a Comment